The Modicon M258 logic controller is a compact, high-performance and fully expandable PLC which forms part of Schneider Electric's "flexible machine control" concept.
This PLC is designed for machine manufacturers (OEMs) focusing on applications such as packaging, conveying and storage, textiles and woodworking, etc. and offers high-performance solutions for speed control, counting, axis control and communication functions.
In terms of performance, the Modicon M258 logic controller has a dual-core processor:
- Core 1 is dedicated exclusively to managing program tasks and offers the maximum resources for real-time execution of the application code.
- Core 2 is dedicated to executing communication tasks, which then have no further impact on the application execution performance.
With an execution speed of 22 ns for a boolean instruction i.e. more than 45 000 Boolean instructions per ms, the capacity to manage up to 2 400 I/O, a 64 MiB RAM memory that can store data and programs as well as a 128 MiB Flash memory for application and data backup, the Modicon M258 logic controller eliminates any doubts about the machine's limits.
In developing the Modicon M258 logic controller, the cost aspect was taken into account, the CPUs (depending of the references) are equipped as standard with:
- 42 or 66 discrete I/O
- Embedded serial link and Ethernet port
- 4 analog inputs
In all its characteristics, the Modicon M258 logic controller has been developed to minimize the costs of assembly, cabling, commissioning and maintenance.
To this end:
- All the modules have removable terminals.
- All the electrical connections are made on spring terminals, speeding up the wiring process and also avoiding the need for periodic retightening. In addition, each terminal has a test point for a voltage sensing device.
- The embedded serial link and Ethernet port on the Modicon M258 logic controller have an RJ45 connection at 45° for quick visible connection of your communication channels.
- The modularity of the various bases and extension modules has been optimized in order to reduce significantly the number of references to be ordered and assembled, while ensuring the minimum investment in your configuration is necessary, thanks to a capacity of between two and 42 channels per extension module.
- Mechanical assembly of the various parts has been designed to save a considerable amount of time during assembly.